Ok All you Star Wars Enthusiasts, I like many after watching Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back had an overwhelming urge and completely awesome inspirational moment …. Dude…. I’M GOING TO MAKE A LIGHT SABER… Which of course shortly there after, I jumped on Google and found a massive amount of Theoretical Particle Physicists , talking about the basic qualities of light and energy. Which quickly made me realize that making one of these things wasn’t going to be easy.
But then I thought, well obviously some of the technology isn’t available yet but building a less powerful light saber shouldn’t be to hard… and when the technology becomes available like a civilian laser strong enough to cut through most objects can be acquired… with this design you’d simply swop out the better laser.
LIGHT SABER – PARTS LIST: the basic ideas
- 1 – Toy Light Saber – for the handle… because let’s face it if your done…. and it doesn’t look like a Light Saber.. mission failure.
- 2 – Circular Mirrors – these should be about the width of the Light Saber handle, and you will need to drill a hole in them. MIRROR #1 the hole will be directly in the middle, MIRROR #2 the hole will be offset just a cm. from the middle.
- 1 – Green Pen Laser – This will supply the “light beam”… obviously again “in the future” the laser will be more powerful.
- 1 – Martial Arts Spring Loaded Extendable Baton – this is literally the substance inside the “light saber” as the light beam wouldn’t really do anything when it collided with another light saber, so the Baton is the physical sword. You could speculate that the Laser inadvertently would heat the Metal Baton…
- *** OR *** instead of the Martial Arts Extendable Baton… If you really wanted to get fancy, you could use a motorized Extendable/Collapsible car antenna… push a button… it extends… push a button it retracts… keep in mind the motor is slow… ( eeeeeeeeeeeee ) 20secs later…. isn’t really exciting… but again in the future or if you paid a ton of money you could probably come up with a faster motor and extendable/collapsible mechanism.
HERE ARE MY MOLESKIN SKETCHES – HAVE FUN….
Basic idea is your trapping light between two mirrors, until you cut off the laser. Obviously the Laser in the future would be more powerful… Obviously the motorized extender would be faster… but all-in-all from a functional prototype perspective…. DUDE IT’S A LIGHT SABER…